BACK-TO-BACK “SONG OF THE YEAR” NOMINATIONS FOR THE ACCLAIMED SINGER-SONGWRITER – NEW ALBUM THE BIRD & THE RIFLE OUT NOW
Lori McKenna’s “Humble & Kind” is nominated for “Song of the Year” at “The 50th Annual CMA Awards.” Recorded and taken to No. 1 by Tim McGraw, “Humble & Kind” is the first song penned by a solo songwriter to be nominated for “Song of the Year” since 2012. The awards show will broadcast live on ABC on Wednesday, November 2 at 8/7pm CST.
McKenna wrote the song alone at home while her kids were at school—a loving attempt to impart wisdom, layered over three chords. “I can say it’s one of my favorite songs, mostly because I had my kids in my head the whole time I was trying to write it,” she says. “My kids know that it’s theirs, and it’s nice in that way. It worked out pretty good.”
In addition to being recorded by McGraw, “Humble & Kind” appears on McKenna’s acclaimed tenth studio album, The Bird & The Rifle, which is out now on CN Records via Thirty Tigers (purchase here). Produced by Dave Cobb (Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton), the album was recorded live over ten days in Nashville and has received overwhelming critical praise. NPR Music calls it, “one of 2016’s best releases,” while Pitchfork asserts, “one of the most accomplished and devastating singer-songwriter albums of the year,” and The Washington Post declares, “the best-sounding album of McKenna’s 15-year recording career.”
In celebration of the release, McKenna is currently in the midst of a nationwide headlining tour—her first since 2013. See below for complete details.
Today’s nomination follows last year’s breakout hit “Girl Crush” (penned by McKenna, Liz Rose and Hillary Lindsey), which went on to win “Song of the Year” at the CMA Awards and “Best Country Song” at the Grammy Awards.
THE BIRD & THE RIFLE TRACK LIST
1. Wreck You (Lori McKenna/Felix McTeigue)
2. The Bird & The Rifle (Lori McKenna/Caitlyn Smith/Troy Verges)
3. Giving Up On Your Hometown (Lori McKenna)
4. Halfway Home (Lori McKenna/Barry Dean)
5. Humble & Kind (Lori McKenna)
6. We Were Cool (Lori McKenna)
7. Old Men Young Women (Lori McKenna/Luke Laird/Barry Dean)
8. All These Things (Lori McKenna/Liz Rose)
9. Always Want You (Lori McKenna/Liz Rose/Hillary Lindsey)
10. If Whiskey Were A Woman (Lori McKenna)
LORI MCKENNA “WRECK YOU” TOUR
September 9—Northampton, MA—Iron Horse
September 10—Ogunquit, ME—Jonathan’s
September 20-25—Nashville, TN—AmericanaFest 2016
October 12—San Antonio, TX—Tobin Center for the Arts
October 13—Austin, TX—One World Theater
October 14—Houston, TX—Dosey Doe
October 15—Dallas, TX—Kessler Theatre
October 21—Los Angeles, CA—Hotel Café
- Lori McKenna Wins Songwriter of the Year at the 52nd Academy of Country Music Awards
- Lori McKenna’s “The Bird & The Rifle” releases widespread acclaim
- Out Friday: Lori McKenna’s new album “The Tree”
- Carrie Underwood to Release “Cry Pretty” Album September 14th
- Little Big Town Suprised by RIAA with 2x Platinum Plaque for "Girl Crush"
Find the most current Lori McKenna tour dates from our partners at Country Music On Tour, your trusted country concert ticket source!